Our first video project in JOUR 550 was one that I was excited, yet unsure about. Being a person who has focused far more on radio than video, I had a lot of skills to try and develop. I was relatively pleased with how this project turned out, considering it was the first video we did, but the shaky shots really irritated me. That, of course, can be attributed to me forgetting a tripod (yikes). That, however, is a lesson that I learned the hard way, and you can bet I won’t do that again. View my Video Essay .
I was more comfortable with how my first VO/VOSOT project. The subject was something that I am involved in and passionate about, so it was fun to cover. I thought that my soundbite was interesting, but I will agree it is a bit long. I think that the nat-sound I got could have been better. I probably should have integrated more music into it, consdering the topic is a radio station’s battle of the bands. Overall, I think as a first VO/VOSOT, the project turned out well. View my VOSOT 1 .
There are few better ways to illustrate stories being everywhere than my VO/VOSOT 2. I racked my brain for days trying to find a topic, but couldn’t seem to find one. Then, one day, while sitting in the newly revamped KU Union dining area, I thought to myself, “wow, this is so much nicer than it used to be, I bet people really like it.” From there, I shot up and ran to get a camera and I knew exactly what to do. I think that my shots fit “say it–see it” fairly well for this video, as well as giving a relatively boring topic some life. I think that the project turned out really well! View my VOSOT 2 .
Generally, you would expect that a student would gradually progress with each attempt at a VO/VOSOT, but I honestly feel as though I regressed a bit. I struggled with windy conditions and a shaky tripod, had some blurry shots, and conducted an interview with bad lighting. All of this combined to create a very average product. All things considered, I think it could have turned out far worse, but I’ll take it for now and must improve as we move forward towards packages. I can’t continue to make no or minimal progress if I hope to get where I want to go someday! View my VOSOT 3
Baseball has been my favorite sport ever since I remember. After years of playing, I have become pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the game, and one things I always thought was pretty cool was the different styles that people used to tape their wooden bats. When I first started using a wooden bat I always stuck to the simpler style where I covered the whole handle in tape, but as time went on I decided to try some new ideas out and ended up really liking a newer style called cross-taping (see below).
Baseball is one of the most popular sports in the world, and has often been known as “America’s Past-time”. Even though I don’t play the sport anymore, I’m still passionate about it, and love to watch it, write about it, and teach people more about it. It’s been a part of me for a long time, and I’m happy to make this video of what I learned to be the “Basic 3-Step Process” to having a good baseball swing. I learned this process at a camp I went to in St. Louis when I was in 6th grade. The camp was hosted by the St. Louis Cardinals, and I got the chance to learn from MLB Coach Don Mattingly, and the players on the Cardinals at that time. In this article, I’ll give you a few more detailed descriptions of each step!
Baseball is a game of finite measurements, so any little offset could end up bad in a big way during a swing! Though the process may seem very simple, if one thing is messed up in a certain way, your swing can be thrown off!
Assignment 3 taught me a lot about using my camera to make videos. For this assignment I decided to film some of my fellow student-athletes. I used a variety of tight and wide shots to show what an athlete does each day. I decided to use music to make the video more interesting.
Filming sports was definitely interesting as you can be so creative with your shots. A lot of the time I had to get on the ground just to get the perfect angle. It also took a lot of time just to meet up with each athlete so they could show me their sport. I did see some extreme athleticism throughout this project. Overall I am really proud of my work. I have never done a project like this before so I am happy how it turned out! You can check out my project here.
Our first assignment of the semester required us to take a variety of still shots and videos from all different angles and times of day. This was a good way to both get familiar with the new cameras as well as give us an opportunity to get some hands-on experience. We then came into the classroom to upload all of our pictures and videos and put them all together through Adobe Premier. I accidentally purchased the wrong media card reader, so I had an issue right away. Instead I downloaded each picture to the desktop and inserted them into Adobe from there.
This was my first time using Adobe Premier so not everything was clear at first. After a few minutes of exploring things began to get easier. Even after uploading my whole project to YouTube, I am still not completely familiar with all of the tools in Premier. I am hoping that as we continue to use Premier that everything will start to come easier and make more sense.
While I still do not know everything there is to know about our cameras and premiere, I definitely know more than I did a week ago, so the progress is there. I am hoping that as each week passes, I can continue a few new things each day, and eventually have a firm grasp on the program.