I’ve always been a music aficionado, so knowing that I wanted to cover something aurally stimulating, the challenge was finding something that was also visually interesting. Monday night’s Community Gamelan seemed like the perfect opportunity. When I walked into this tiny classroom in the music building, I was blown away by the beautifully polished, intricately designed Indonesian percussion instruments. The group leader and the students were very welcoming and accommodating as I tiptoed around the room snapping pictures, careful not to disturb the musical direction. The entire session went on for two hours, though I got everything I needed in just a half hour.
Pictures weren’t particularly difficult to get, though I struggled capturing fast hand movements over the instruments. A lot of those shots turned out blurry. I still made out with some pretty good ones, though. Recording sound was a little more difficult, especially since this was my first time using this recorder. I wasn’t sure which mic sensitivity to use in such a loud, small room, so I recorded different segments at levels 8, 6, 4 and 2. 6 and 4 seemed to turn out best. I should have more than enough quality audio to use on assignment 3.
The Final Cut aspect of this assignment was actually very simple. I was pretty surprised at how easy it is to learn, though I know there is a lot more I will be doing with it later on.
Overall, I had fun and didn’t feel stressed at any point during this assignment. So here’s the final product!